Our DEI Initiatives
Binnie embraces diversity and is committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive work environment for everyone.
Creating an inclusive community
We are dedicated to ensuring our workplace communities reflect the diversity of each person on our team. We are steadfastly committed to ensuring our people programs and practices are fair, equitable and supportive to everyone at Binnie.
Take a look below at just one of the many ways we celebrate our staff and diversity in our society.
- RISE Group: RISE is a grass-roots staff-led initiative supporting staff at Binnie who identify with the female-lived experience in the engineering workplace. This committee’s mission is to raise female voices in a collaborative, goal-driven, and supportive environment through regular initiatives and events where we can connect with each other, empower change, and build our business.
- 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence: This campaign challenges us at Binnie to share the specific ways we are joining the conversation and being part of the solution to end gender-based violence. To get involved, Binnie team members are encouraged to
start the conversation on social media networks and volunteer with organizations working to end violence.
- 30 by 30: As part of our efforts to support the “30 by 30” initiative to increase the number of women in the engineering profession, we are pleased to share that Binnie is now a gold sponsor of Women in Consulting Engineering (WCE). Please visit the WCE website to learn more about their mission, core values, and upcoming events. Thank you to our RISE Committee for being champions of gender diversity and inclusion at Binnie.
- Gender Pronouns: We encourage our team members to add their pronouns to their email signatures as part of our diversity, equity and inclusion efforts. At Binnie, we support using a person’s chosen name and desired pronouns as a form of mutual respect. We also recognize pronouns as an essential part of creating a safe and inclusive environment where individuals can comfortably work and share their identifying pronouns.
- Celebration of PRIDE: Binnie’s PRIDE events celebrate and recognize the impact that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals have had on history locally, nationally, and internationally.
Psychological Safety at work is a feeling of belonging within your team, and creating an environment of trust and respect to enable team members to feel safe to be themselves. Binnie is dedicated to creating an environment where people feel comfortable asking questions and sharing ideas, embracing differences and promoting dialogue.
- Pink Shirt Day: On Pink Shirt Day, the Binnie Safety Team encourages everyone to practice kindness and wear pink to symbolize that you do not tolerate bullying and harassment. For every Binnie team member who wears a pink shirt on this day, Binnie donates through our Pink Short Day Campaign Giving Group! 100% of net proceeds are donated to various organizations that support children’s healthy self-esteem, both with their peers and themselves.
- Team Meetings: Psychological safety is part of every division’s meetings. Our Managers make sure everyone feels heard by leaving room for questions or comments at the end of every meeting. Everyone is welcome to chime in. With today’s technology, your voice can be heard via chat or speaker – and if you’re more comfortable, you can always drop your ideas in the chatbox. Our Managers are also trained to listen, acknowledge and try their best to make everyone’s input feel valuable.
- Open Reporting: We have an open form to report any harassment at Binnie. Binnie takes safety seriously, and we do everything we can to make sure that our work environment is inclusive, positive and collaborative. Our Safety program encompasses reporting procedures in the event that any individual experiences bullying and harassment, and we take action to prevent future instances and foster a warm and welcoming workplace. Every day is an opportunity to learn more about how our HR team can make our staff feel more comfortable whether it’s Manager training, Linkedin courses, or a Lunch and Learn – our Team is hard at work with everyone’s interests in mind. Every team at Binnie has a dedicated HR team member as a go-to resource for concerns and support.
Top Employer Awards
We are a smart and accomplished organization, but we check our egos at the door. We work hard and work smart, but always find time for check-ins with every level of our team. Our people-focused culture drives us and for this, we are continually recognized as a Top Employer in Canada.